Spring football has started in Florida State, which means various Gators coaches are back on the road to see some of the best rookies on the UF board in action.
Billy Napier did well to have several of the state’s top prospects on campus this spring, and now he has another chance to have those players evaluated by his staff. Napier emphasized the importance of his evaluation process from day one as Gators head coach. Diagnosing the problem and finding the right tools to fix it is what he does best and it goes through a meticulous process.
Spring training gave Napier and Co. a chance to see exactly what they needed to work with, and it’s no secret that Florida lacks depth in various places on the depth chart. Some of these issues will be resolved in the Transfer Portal, but long-term issues will require strong, focused recruiting to fix.
Here’s where some of Florida’s football coaches are as of Monday, according to 247Sports.
Offensive linebacker coach Mike Peterson is scheduled to stop at several Jacksonville-area schools Monday. Four-star linebacker Grayson Howard and four-star running back Treyaun Webb might be the most notable names in the group, but there’s a ton of good talent worth checking out.
- LB Grayson Howard 4 stars | Andrew Jackson bred
- 4 star hotels S Kenton Kirkland | Raines High
- RB Treyaun Webb 4 stars | Trinity Christian Academy
- DT Jordan Hall 4 stars | Westside High (DC Patrick Toney is also expected here)
- Sharif Denson 4 stars | Bartram Trail High (Toney)
Offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Rob Sale will also be near the Jacksonville area on Monday, but he will focus on strengthening his relationship with Orange Park offensive lineman Roderick Kearney.
- OL 4 stars Roderick Kearney | Orange Park High
The Gators need to add linemen in 2023, and Kearney has the versatility to play center or guard in the SEC. Sale and assistant offensive line coach Darnell Stapleton worked hard to put Florida on his radar after the last staff paid him little attention.
Running backs coach Jabar Juluke is busy visiting prospects in the Tallahassee area on Monday, but it would be wrong not to first mention his Friday visit to five-star quarterback Arch Manning in Louisiana. Florida is trying to get him on campus and Juluke seems like the go-to guy given his ties to the state.
- LB Raylen Wilson 4 stars | Lincoln High (Michigan Commitment)
- WR Daquayvious Sorey 4 stars | Chipley High (Chipley is about an hour and a half from Tallahassee)
- WR Traylon Ray 3 stars | North Florida Christian School
Wide receivers coach Keary Colbert is another with just one save to make. He will visit JUCO wide receiver Malik Benson of Hutchinson Community College in Lansing, Kansas.
Benson had planned to visit Florida over the summer among various schedules, but has yet to schedule his trip to the swamp. Georgia, LSU and Tennessee all have June weekends with him, which could be the purpose of Colbert’s visit.
- JUCO WR Malik Benson | Hutchinson CC
Tight ends coach William Peagler will be in Melbourne on Monday. He will stop at Eau Galli High to see mainly four-star athlete Robert Stafford, but his eyes will also be on underclassmen.
- ATH 4 stars Robert Stafford | Eau Gallie Haute
- WR Ric’Darious Farmer 4 stars | Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy